Monday, September 30, 2013

FAQ About the Body

Ever wonder why you get pruney in the water? Or what those sounds are coming from your stomach? I'll reveal all:  




Q: Why do my fingers get pruny when I've been in the water for a long time? 
A: Scientists think this is actually a function of your nervous system as a means of increasing traction. Notice that you only get pruny on your hands and feet: Making it easier to grip things when you're still wet and easier to get traction if you need to run while wet.




FACT: A single strand of human hair can hold up to two candy bars. 



Q: What is actually happened when my foot falls asleep and I get that pins and needles feeling? 
A: The feeling of pins and needs in your foot or hand is actually the feeling of your nerves waking back up. When you compress a nerve bundle, like when sitting in an odd position or putting a lot of your weight in one area, it shuts off information from that part of your body to the brain. So that pins and needles feeling is the communication being restored.


FACT: The body sheds around 600,000 skin particles per hour. 




Q: Why do I get the chills when I'm sick? 
A: The chills are your nervous system contracting muscles to create heat inside your body in an attempt to cook the virus/bacteria. This is why chills are most often associated with a fever.






FACT: Nerve impulses to and from the brain travel on average 170mph. 


Q: When I get hungry, why does my stomach make that loud noise? 
A: Actually, your stomach makes that noise all the time. As a nurse, I actually make it a point to listen for those sounds. Not having those sounds is considered abnormal and possibly a medical emergency. It's when the stomach is empty (when you're hungry) that the sounds echo, making it seem like they are loud.


More questions about the body? Visit Healthy Now and Later or ask below:

No comments:

Post a Comment