Donuts, cakes, cookies, lollypops, and popsicles. My mouth waters just thinking of these sugary snacks. Turns out there's actually a good reason for it:
Short Term Effects
High blood sugar levels can result in fatigue, the inability to concentrate, or blurred vision. If levels spike into dangerous levels even for a short time, it can result in what's called "Ketoacidosis" or a diabetic coma. This requires emergency medical treatment.
Long Term Effects
Long-term consequences of untreated high blood sugar levels can have devastating. See the video called, "What Diabetes Can Do" to the right. Health effects and include:
- Heart disease - Heart disease and stroke are the number one cause of death and disability in people with type 2 diabetes
- Kidney disease - Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure
- Nerve and blood vessel damage - About half of all people with diabetes have some form of nerve damage
- Blindness - People with diabetes are at an increased risk for eye complications that can lead to blindness
- Gum disease - People with diabetes, especially those with poor blood sugar control, are at a higher risk for gum problems
For more information, helpful videos and delicious recipes that are diabetic friendly, visit the Healthy Now and Later food and recipes tab.