A trip to the doctors office can be either a time lost out of your day or an enriching moment that will change your life from then on. With the proper resources, your physician is able to make more definitive diagnoses in a much shorter time and send you on the right path to treatment or proper management of your condition. This becomes especially important if you are seeing multiple doctors or establishing care with a new doctor.
Here are the 5 most important things to do that will turn your doctor visit into a productive consultation:
- 1. Make sure all test results are in the hands of the physician you are seeing by checking ahead with his or her staff and if need be going to pick up the X-rays or lab results and taking them with you.
- 2. List your medications, including all over the counter medications and supplements you are presently taking. Knowing who prescribed the medications is also helpful.
- 3. Gather your health history including previous hospitalizations, and any medical conditions even if they are not the reason why you are going to doctor this time. Include your family medical history as well.
- 4. Prepare a list of questions so that you don’t leave the appointment with lingering concerns about things you forgot to ask about. Most appointments last between 10-15 minutes, and this can help you stay on track and ensure you address the most pressing issues first.
5. Take a friend or family member to give you support and so that between the two of you, you'll know exactly what was discussed and what the doctor recommended.
Making the most of your doctor’s appointment is not only efficient use of your time but will give you the peace of mind that you know exactly what was said and what the plan of care will be.